Do I Drink Too Much
For way too many, there is a point where you must ask yourself: “do I drink too much?”
It is not always easy to determine when a few drinks with friends drifts away from social drinking and turns into a full alcoholic addiction. Alcoholism refers to an alcohol addiction or dependence. A situation in which the individual has a physical or psychological compulsion to drink alcohol.
Alcoholism looks and acts different from person to person and stereotypes do not always hold true. So, when does a few drinks with friends become a full-blown alcohol addiction? How do you know when to ask: “do I drink too much?”
The following are some of the warning signs of alcoholism that might help:
- Drinking when you are alone or keeping your drinking a secret
- Losing interest in other activities that were once enjoyable
- Craving alcohol
- Making drinking a priority over responsibilities, such as employment and family
- Showing alcohol withdrawal symptoms like sweating without reason, anxiety, etc…
- Extreme mood swings and irritability
- Feelings of guilt associated with drinking
- Starting your morning with a drink
- Continuing to drink even if negatively impacts your health, family, or finances
- Inability to stop or control the amount of alcohol you are consuming
If you are struggling with alcoholism, then please know that you are not alone. Thousands of people (no matter their status, culture, or education) struggle with drinking, ask the question “do I drink too much,” and make the decision to seek help every day. We can help!